Employers Must Use Revised I-9 Form By January 17, 2017
By Jan. 22, 2017, employers must use only the new version of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verifcation, dated 11/14/2016. Until then, they can continue to use the version dated 03/08/2013 or the new version.
What are the changes to the form?
- Section 1 of the form asks for “other last names used”rather than “other names used.”
- Certification for certain foreign nations is streamlined.
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
The instructions have been separated from the form, in line with other USCIS forms, and include specific instructions for completing each field.
The revised Form I-9 is also easier to complete on a computer. Enhancements include drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates, on-screen instructions for each field, easy access to the full instructions, and an option to clear the form and start over. When the employer prints the completed form, a quick response (QR) code is automatically generated, which can be read by most QR readers.