USCIS Announces Immigration Relief Measures for Nepali Nationals
Nepali nationals who are currently in the U.S. may be eligible for certain immigration benefits because of the earthquakes that struck Nepal in April and May 2015.
The USCIS recently announced some “immigration relief measures” for eligible Nepali nationals which could include:
- Change or extension of nonimmigrant status for an individual currently in the United States, even if the request is filed after the authorized period of admission has expired;
- A grant of re-parole;
- Expedited processing of advance parole requests;
- Expedited adjudication and approval, where possible, of requests for off-campus employment authorization for F-1 students experiencing severe economic hardship;
- Expedited adjudication of employment authorization applications, where appropriate;
- Consideration for waivers of fees associated with USCIS benefit applications, based on an inability to pay; and
- Assistance replacing lost or damaged immigration or travel documents issued by USCIS, such as Permanent Resident Cards (green cards).
To learn how to request relief or more about how USCIS assists customers affected by unforeseen circumstances in their home country, visit uscis.gov/humanitarian/special-situations or call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 (TDD for the hearing impaired: 1-800-767-1833).